Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Cub Restaurant - Shreveport, LA

The Cub Restaurant
3002 Girard St.
Shreveport, LA 71104
(318) 861-6517

While in Louisiana this past Easter holiday weekend, I politely requested we have dinner at The Cub Restaurant sometime during our visit. Fortunately, it's one of my mother-in-law Dianne's favorites, so it was determined we'd meet her best friends and Cub regulars, Janet and Chuck Hennigan, there on Friday night to celebrate Ms. Dianne's birthday.

Known for their steaks and au gratin potatoes, this Shreveport mainstay was founded in 1936. With so many years of practice, it's no wonder The Cub serves absolutely, positively my favorite steak ever - and I've sampled steaks all across the U.S. Perfectly seasoned, grilled and cooked to order, their filet mignon melts in your mouth. Dip a bite of steak into the piping hot au gratin potatoes, and you've created a taste of pure heaven. With just a touch of spice and the ooey gooey goodness of melted cheeses, their au gratin potatoes deserve high marks for excellence. Entrees include a simple wedge salad (I strongly recommend the homemade Parmesan peppercorn ranch dressing) and complimentary rolls. Other steak cuts and items appear on The Cub's menu, but why try something else when I love what I love: the filet and au gratins?!

Veteran Cub cook Will consistently and expertly serves the absolute best to patrons! I've frequented The Cub Restaurant countless times in the 12 years since I first was introduced to the joint, and never once have I been disappointed.

Side note: Try the fried soft shell crab when in season.

Service: exemplary
Price: $$-$$$
Atmosphere: old school dive, few tables, reservations recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment