Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ruggles Green

Ruggles Green
2311 West Alabama
Houston, TX 77098
713-533-0777
http://www.rugglesgreen.com/
Other multiple locations as well with more coming soon!

My close friends will attest to my knack for selecting particular descriptive vocabulary and my ensuing incessant use thereafter until I latch on to my next word of choice. Among these words are "divine, excellent, amazing" - my feeble attempt at imparting my idea of slang into my normally scripted and precise rhetoric. And those same good friends will translate my familiar phrase "Holy Mother of God!" into simple prose for those reading this who aren't so close to me. Translation: "exceptional, divine, delicious" ... the list of adjectives could go on.

Our first introduction to the Ruggles Green in the Upper Kirby/River Oaks neighborhood located a few blocks from our place happened when Cam and I moved to Houston two days after Christmas in 2011. People flowed from the restaurant onto the patios - evidence we'd found a treasured jewel that demanded we sample its fare. That night we ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with award-winning sweet potato fries and a wood-fired margherita pizza to go. (The exercise induced from the move had peaked our appetites more than usual.) Knowing our hunger may have preempted our proclamations of love for Ruggles Green late that night, we've since revisited the eatery many times. And each experience hasn't wavered.

Bringing me to today and my declaration of "Holy Mother of God!" which I don't hand out frequently like a loose-tongued, inexperienced foodie. For lunch I walked to Ruggles Green with the intention of ordering the Jenny Dipper or Ruggles Green Goat Cheese Salad - two of my favorites and both of which I add grilled chicken. The Jenny Dipper consists of grilled cremini mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes and grilled red onions on a bed of baby spinach and served with their house-made sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, honey mustard dressing and blue cheese dressing on the side - all excellent dressings. The Ruggles Green Goat Cheese Salad includes baby greens, arugula, toasted almonds, sliced Granny Smith apples, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan and warm Texas goat cheese and tossed with their creamy sun-dried tomato vinaigrette.

However, I found myself leering at the Daily Specials Menu today for some reason. And "Holy Mother of God!" am I ecstatic to have ventured off my predictable routine! I timidly said to the guy at the counter, "I'll take the chicken special." He said, "Do you mean the Pan-Seared Chicken?" I replied, "Yes, sir." Wow! Perfectly seasoned and seared, the chicken was served with organic green beans, asparagus, carrots and broccoli along with olive oil mashed potatoes. And get this: Julienned lemon rinds and sprouts garnished the dish and provided the pièce de résistance. Chicken, potato, vegetable and lemon rind combined to create the purely balanced bite of heaven! The taste still lingers in my mouth. Incredible!

Whether my next trip to Ruggles Green will be solo like today or with visiting friends (Steph, Amber, James and Arabella have all been with me before.) and family (my mother-in-law Dianne), I'll certainly review the Daily Specials Menu from here on out. Now, if I'd only remembered to take my camera ... I promise to start including food photos soon.

Service: order at counter, take number, choose table, friendly staff
Price: $-$$
Atmosphere: earthy and comfortable 

No comments:

Post a Comment